Friday, August 3, 2007

A few things that put me on the peculiar side

I remember when I was a young girl, and I would tilt my head forward so that my long hair would drape down on the sides and hide my face. I was hidden, and it brought relief and comfort being in my little safe space.

I am an introvert, and I prefer to be unobstrusive. I dislike drawing attention to myself. I figure why should anyone pay attention to me anyway. I'm just me, little ol' me. I like to blend in and be a wallflower. Mingling is draining. Talking with other people in groups zaps my energy. I'd rather be alone or with people I know are safe and won't judge me or assume the worst about me and my words when I accidentally say something tactless.

Yet what am I? I feel like I am destined to walk around with a "Take a look at me, I'm peculiar," sign on me. It drives me nuts. When all I want to do is blend in.

Here is a little about me tends to put me (at least sometimes) on the peculiar side:

I wear dresses or skirts all the time. I have long hair past my bottom. I don't wear make up. I am vegan. I try not to swear. My husband and I have four children we bring everywhere with us as much as possible, including the church service. We are Christians who don't spank. We don't vaccinate. We babywear. We believe in co-sleeping. We believe in extended breadtfeeding, and I still nurse our son who is 2 years and 10 months old. We use our TV to watch videos and DVD's, but not to watch TV. We are not patriarchal. We are conservative theologically, and we are "Reformed," and were Reformed Baptists, but are growing more Lutheran as the days go by.

So that's a little about me. What do you think?

No comments: